Monday, January 25, 2010

God is awake

I have never understood why I can go for weeks, terrible weeks, feeling like I can't see God at all, to seeing Him in any and every situation. If God were not God, I would probably place the blame on Him. I would probably accuse Him of going into self mode and assume His disappearance was simply because He could not handle the mess of a person I am any longer with out a break, or that he was tired of dealing with my selfishness.

But God is God. And I know Him better than that.

So then if God is always around, The most obvious answer to our "lack of communication" is that it is my fault. I am the one who has either a) gone into self-mode, b) forgotten how to listen, c) gotten to busy for my savior, or d) treated my time with Him as another task to check off my “to dolist for the day.

My entire life I have been trained to use my mind to get information and complete assignments in the most timely manner possible. But the God revealed to me in scripture and in the person of Christ is infinitely personal, relational, and is not in a hurry. So Unless I make time to enter into His presence prepared to be quiet and listen, I am confident He will "disappear" again.

Another thing I have noticed during the periods of time when I don't make time for God, is that small little mishaps become tragedies. Literally. When I take my eyes of Christ, what He has done for me on the cross, and the reason He has placed me here (to serve Him through serving others), the daily drudgery and normality's of this thing called life turn into the end of my world. But when I am focused on Christ the way I should be, I see them for what they really are...ways God is making me more like Himself or is instilling the patience in me that I had prayed for the night before.

I came across this quote a few years back and have loved it ever since...

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones. When you have finished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” -Victor Hugo

It reminds me that even in the times that God is unbearably silent and seems to have fallen asleep in the middle of a "major crisis", He is and always will be wide awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment